- Vassar College
- Poughkeepsie, NY
Dean of Studies
Department: Dean Of Studies Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator/Faculty
Posting Date: 04/21/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS059P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Dean of the College, the Dean of Studies is charged with the execution of educational policies of the college as they relate to the students. The Dean of Studies is responsible for implementing the curriculum, overseeing academic advising, and carrying out faculty legislation affecting the fulfillment of academic requirements for the degree. Together with the class advisors in the Dean of Studies Office, the Dean of Studies works with students directly to support them when they experience academic and personal difficulties; advises them on resources; addresses any issues that concern them; provides academic information; offers advice and counsel; and helps with such matters as registration, absence from class due to emergencies, and leaves of absence. The successful candidate must be eligible for membership in an academic department and subsequently invited to it. The position is for five years, with the possibility of renewal.
- Execute the educational policies of the college as they relate to students, implementing the curriculum, overseeing academic advising, and carrying out faculty legislation affecting the fulfillment of academic requirements for the degree.
- Together with the class advisors in the Dean of Studies Office, the Dean of Studies works with students directly to support them when they experience academic and personal difficulties; advises them on resources; addresses any issues that concern them; provides academic information; offers advice and counsel; and helps with such matters as registration, absence from class due to emergencies, and leaves of absence.
- Serve as one point of contact for complaints about classes and other academic matters.
- The Dean of Studies also verifies that graduating students have met all graduation requirements and tracks progress towards the degree and reclassifies students' class years as needed.
- Process all leaves of absence and returns.
- Oversee all permanent student records (except transcripts), respond to disciplinary record requests, and manage transcript notations for suspensions/expulsions connected with violent offenses.
- Evaluate special, visiting, readmitted, and graduate students for admission and serve as their advisor; evaluate special students for admission as matriculated students.
- Serve as Posse Liaison to the Posse Organization and to Vassar's Posse Veterans.
- Work closely with faculty and the Office of the Registrar; Associate Dean of the College for Residential Life and Wellness, Student Support Network, counseling service, health service, SAVP, and others in the Dean of the College division; Title IX and EOAA office; parents and families of students; Student Financial Services; Office of International Programs and Office of Community Engaged Learning.
- Supervise Dean of First-Year Students and other class advisors, administrative assistants, Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity, and the Office for Fellowships and Pre-Health Advising.
- Recruit and select Dean of First-Year Students, class advisors, and members of CLP and CSR from the faculty.
- Manage operating budget for the Dean of Studies Office and evaluate applications for the Academic Enrichment Fund, June Ross Marks Travel Fund, and Geraldine Gewirtz Friedman '41 Career Development Fund for Students of Drama, Film, Literature and the Visual Arts.
- Revise and update College Regulations and the Dean of Studies/Dean of the College, website sections relevant to academic requirements, academic integrity, and academic advice.
- Oversee domestic and incoming international exchange, including applications and supporting incoming students.
- Manage the domestic away and dual degree programs (e.g., Dartmouth Thayer, Columbia Mailman MPH, Twelve College Exchange).
- Oversee annual prize ceremony.
- Participate in Orientation for first-year students, Posse scholars, and transfer students.
- Appoint academic interns
- Compose letters of endorsement and nomination for national fellowships.
- The Dean of Studies chairs the following committees:
- Committee on Leaves and Privileges;
- Committee on Student Records;
- Committee on Fellowships;
- Committee on Readmission;
- Academic panel;
- Dean of Studies staff meeting.
- The Dean of Studies serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Curricular Policies;
- Student Support Network;
- Enrollment Management Committee;
- Dean of the College Senior Team.
- Terminal degree is required.
- Successful leadership experience in highly complex environments, and experience responding to multiple constituencies and managing budgets.
- Experience working with and counseling students in a college setting.
- Effective professional staff team-building, management and supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a broad range of individuals internally and externally; in addition, the ability to be diplomatic in a complex environment in oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated professionalism and sound judgment.
- Experience in a self-directed role demonstrating confidence and initiative.
- An ability to learn quickly, be flexible, and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of excellence and a strong attention to detail.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent collaboration and facilitation skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your curriculum vitae, a 500-word statement of interest, including relevant experience and vision for the Dean of Studies Office, a diversity statement: a statement highlighting contributions to or future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion through teaching, research and other involvements, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF or Word format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by: 05/17/2021
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1874.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency