- Harvard University
- Allston, Massachusetts, United States, 02134
- Yearly Salary
Dean for Research
Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Reporting to the Dean of the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), the Dean for Research will have responsibility and oversight for the development, review, and implementation of strategies, planning, and policies related to the organization and execution of academic research at SEAS. The Dean for Research will be a vital partner to the SEAS Dean and will work closely with the Dean for Administration and Finance, the Dean for Academic Programs, SEAS faculty, staff, and other stakeholders to advance the SEAS mission. The Dean for Research will have oversight responsibility for research operations and the supporting technical staff of shared research facilities, design of complex laboratories, understanding of the Environmental Health and Safety regulatory framework, Memoranda of Understanding for external research partnerships, industry partnerships, review of conflicts of interest, and a liaison role with the Office of Vice Provost for Research (OVPR) and with the Office of Technology Development (OTD).
366062 Administrative Dean
The Dean for Research will oversee the development and management of core resources and infrastructure that support research and teaching in the sciences, including industry partnerships, research administration, and science operations.
This position will be responsible for ensuring SEAS translational workforce has access to a high-quality diverse set of research development opportunities and methods for disseminating these opportunities internally within the Harvard community, locally and nationally to other academic institutions. Must be committed to cultivating an integrated community of scientists and engineers.
- Foster an environment of diversity and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students in all activities.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Develop, manage, and oversee departmental budgets.
- Represent SEAS to external constituencies in the domain of strategic research activities, including partner universities, national laboratories, and corporate partners.
- Work closely with faculty to resolve complex situations regarding research resources or relationships.
Research Strategy and Development
- Advance SEAS vision for translational science.
- Serve as liaison for SEAS in support of major funding initiatives with federal agencies and corporate partners.
- Work closely with OTD, OVPR, and other innovation and translation initiatives across the Harvard eco-system (intellectual property matters, licensing, etc.).
- Support international partnering opportunities.
- Work with SEAS Communications team to publicize and promote research activities.
Regulatory Affairs and Research Compliance
- Develop, implement, and oversee quality assurance and regulatory compliance strategies, and ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations.
- Oversee the development of standard operating procedures and ensure activities conform to applicable federal and state laws, statutes, and institutional regulations.
- Identify training and educational needs regarding compliance and make recommendations.
- Oversee facility planning and maintenance, inventory control and purchasing and maintenance of laboratory equipment. Responsible for fiscal and administrative services.
- Monitor environmental risks and quality control; understand and comply with safety standards to maintain a safe environment.
- Responsible for facilitating space and start-up components of faculty hires in close coordination with the SEAS Dean and the Dean for Administration and Finance.
PhD or other advanced degree required. A minimum of fifteen years of experience in a leadership role in one or a combination of the following areas: higher education, research institute/organization or science/health/engineering-related industry, including managing individuals and/or teams required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Strong administrative, management, and leadership skills and an ability to build mutual trust and inspire leadership in others.
- An innovation mindset, an entrepreneurial outlook, and the ability to conceive of and implement an exciting vision, in collaboration with others.
- A collaborative orientation and an openness to building and sustaining synergies and win-win partnerships within a university setting.
- Cultural sensitivity and a strong personal commitment to diversity and fostering a culture of inclusion and belonging.
- Deep interest in engaging with diverse constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- Comprehensive knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices, and methods.
- A commitment to technology as a tool to bring about innovation and to elevate pedagogy.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are critical for success.
- Experience with organizing large research proposals.
- Experience with professional writing and editing.
- Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
- The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences does not provide visa sponsorship for administrative and staff positions.
- Due to COVID-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position. Please note that once regular operations resume on campus, this role will be based on campus in Allston MA.
Commitment to Diversity
SEAS is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment. Some of our core values include respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences serves as the connector and integrator of Harvard's teaching and research efforts in engineering, applied sciences, and technology. Our core tenets are educating broad-minded students; interdisciplinary research; integration across disciplines; and balancing theory, experimentation and practice to create an unmatched environment for learning and exploration. Through collaboration with researchers from all parts of Harvard, other universities, and industry, we bring discovery and innovation directly to bear on improving human life and society. For more information about us, please visit www.seas.harvard.edu.
USA - MA - Allston
SEAS Deans and Related Staff
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More search results
Assistant Vice President for Finance and Administ…
University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture
Vice President for Admissions and Marketing
Director, Weisman Art Museum
University of Minnesota
Dean, Center for Naval Warfare Studies
Naval War College
Instructor in Social Work
University of Southern Indiana