The Hall Director position at Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIU Carbondale) is a 12-month, live-in appointment. At SIU Carbondale, Hall Directors create an inclusive living environment which fosters personal growth and academic success for students living on campus. The Hall Director is responsible for the development and implementation of strong community building initiatives through the use of educational and social programming. The position requires flexibility, a positive attitude and the desire to create opportunities for educational and social development.
Hall Directors serve in an on-call, week-long (seven day) duty rotation which includes emergency response and crisis intervention. Hall Directors are responsible for the supervision, training, and development of student staff. The position is divided into four main areas of responsibility - supervision and staff development, community development, administrative tasks, and building management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision and Staff Development:
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate Resident Assistant and/or Community Assistant student staff members.
- Hold individual weekly/bi-weekly meetings with Resident Assistant/Community Assistant staff to discuss personal, community, and professional issues/concerns, as well as monitoring student wellbeing and development.
- Lead weekly staff meetings to discuss community and departmental issues and concerns.
- Support and attend events/activities planned by student-led, departmental, or campus organizations.
- Advise and manage on-campus student leadership organizations such as National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), Residence Hall Association (RHA) and the Black Togetherness Organization (BTO).
- Attend weekly Area Council meetings and leadership organizations executive board meetings.
- Work with student staff to develop and promote House (floor) based communities.
- Collaborate with students to create House (floor) based community identities.
- Establish and recruit student leaders to serve on area-specific student organizations.
- Plan and implement monthly, HD-led, area programming relating to the Residence Education residential curriculum.
- Promote and assist with the recruitment for student leadership organizations such as Area Council, RHA, NRHH, and BTO.
- Collaborate with Faculty University Associates (FUAs) and Department of Residence Education to promote and execute Living-Learning Community (LLC) events and programs.
- Adjudicate student conduct/administrative conferences with students using both conduct and report management systems (Advocate).
- Utilize housing administrative software for on campus occupancy management, room changes, and damage charges (StarRez).
- Manage operating budgets for Resident Assistant (RA) and/or Community Assistant (CA), student leadership organizations and building programming.
- Establish both working relationships and lines of communication with campus partners such as Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Multicultural Resource Center, Wellness/Health Promotion, etc.
- Chair/serve on departmental review/planning committees such as: Training/Recruitment, Policies & Procedures, or Social Justice & Inclusion.
- Maintain a secure and functional physical environment conducive to student learning and success.
- Conduct frequent walkthroughs of area of responsibility.
- Establish working relationship with facilities and housekeeping/custodial staff.
- Report building/facility related emergencies/after-hour concerns and submit maintenance reports/requests.
- Utilize building access and camera systems to ensure the security of on-campus living facilities.
- Assist with the implementation of summer camps/conferences held within the residence halls.
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum one year of pre-professional or professional experience within housing or residence life. Valid driver's license is required.
Master's degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, Counseling or related field preferred.
Applicants interested in seeking more information about the Hall Director position at SIU Carbondale are encouraged to go to our Hall Director Recruitment website at www.bit.ly/siuhd
Security/Safety Sensitive: Security sensitive (subject to pre-employment criminal background investigation)
Deadline to Apply: 4/23/21
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.
More search results
Assistant Vice President for Finance and Administ…
University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture
Vice President for Admissions and Marketing
Director, Weisman Art Museum
University of Minnesota
Dean, Center for Naval Warfare Studies
Naval War College
Instructor in Social Work
University of Southern Indiana