Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Penn State Harrisburg
- Middletown, PA
Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Penn State Harrisburg, a comprehensive College of The Pennsylvania State University, is excited to welcome applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Penn State Harrisburg is located in Middletown, near the city of Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania. The college is easily accessible via interstate and rail routes from Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York, and Harrisburg International Airport is located within minutes from campus. The college is the largest and most comprehensive of Penn State's Commonwealth Campuses. An undergraduate college and graduate school, Penn State Harrisburg offers more than 75 associate, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs and is the only campus, along with University Park, to offer programs from the associate to doctoral levels. The college also offers the first two years of study leading to more than 160 baccalaureate majors offered throughout Penn State. At the transfer level, Penn State Harrisburg serves students from all Penn State campuses and from community colleges and other accredited colleges and universities. The college enrolls 5,000 students in residence. Reputation is Penn State Harrisburg's hallmark - nationally accredited programs, award-winning faculty, and the resources of a world-class research university. We are Penn State in the Capital Region. The college's academic units are divided into five schools: Behavioral Sciences and Education; Business Administration; Humanities; Public Affairs; and Science, Engineering, and Technology. The college employs approximately 500 full-time faculty and staff, and roughly 500 part-time employees to carry out its mission to be a premier college of The Pennsylvania State University. To learn more about the college please visit http://harrisburg.psu.edu.
Reporting to the College Chancellor, the Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a senior, academic, leadership position responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategies, programs and initiatives that create and support a diverse, equitable, inclusive and welcoming environment for students, faculty and staff at Penn State Harrisburg. In this position, you will partner with appropriate administrative units within the college and across the university to develop and advance DEI initiatives. You will serve as a liaison to the Office of the Vice Provost for Educational Equity and serve on the Administrative Council on Multicultural Affairs. You will also promote scholarly research in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion and may be called upon to teach one or more classes per academic year.
In this newly created position, you will have the opportunity to leverage the college's resources to advance our strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Workforce diversity, cultural inclusiveness, and employment equity are deeply rooted in Penn State's historic mission. Just as we are committed to being a diverse educational environment, we are also committed to being a diverse working community. As a community, we endeavor to be a mixture of cultural backgrounds, life experiences, individual perspectives, and numerous other characteristics that add variety and vitality to the workplace. The administration, faculty, and staff of Penn State Harrisburg take pride in the fact that we are one of the most diverse and inclusive campuses of Penn State University, and we are deeply committed to supporting a culturally, ethnically, and racially inclusive environment. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide strategic leadership and be the focal point for all DEI related initiatives
- Coordinate DEI programs for educating the college community and fostering a welcoming and inclusive campus environment
- Design, develop and implement strategies to improve diversity, inclusion, and equity, and improve DEI related initiatives, programs, and activities
- Support the efforts of the Diversity and Educational Equity Committee (DEEC), Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity (CORED-HB) and other DEI-focused groups
- Explore opportunities to promote DEI through gifts, grants and contracts
- Stay abreast of current DEI trends and benchmarks in industry and higher education
- Create educational opportunities via workshops, training sessions, invited speakers, and curriculum development in the area of DEI
- Have the opportunity to teach one or more classes per academic year
Communication and Outreach
- Provide effective and timely communication within the college community regarding DEI issues and initiatives
- Partner with college and university leaders to identify, plan, implement and assess activities that promote DEI, including training and educational programs related to managing a diverse workforce, reducing implicit bias, and other relevant topics
- Create useful networks in the local and regional media to bring DEI issues to the forefront
- Provide advocacy for underrepresented faculty, staff and students in matters related to DEI
- Partner with relevant university office to assist in recruiting diverse faculty, staff and students and help create a conducive environment to retain a diverse campus community
- Provide mentorship for faculty, staff and students from underrepresented backgrounds
- Partner with relevant university officers to address issues of accessibility of campus buildings, facilities, and grounds
- Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree
- Record of accomplishments equivalent to Associate/Full Professor or Associate/Full Teaching Professor at Penn State Harrisburg
- Record of excellence and experience in building, delivering, and advancing institutional DEI programs and activities
- Experience in teaching DEI related courses
- A record of DEI related research and scholarship
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Skill in working collaboratively with others and in developing professional networks
- Experience developing techniques to analyze and measure DEI programs
- Familiarity with laws and legislations pertinent to DEI and fair employment practices
- Experience in communicating with various stakeholders and presenting to large groups in various forums
- Ability to support the college's broad range of activities and initiatives
In addition to supporting the college's academic DEI mission, you will make a difference in this position, by providing the college community with tools, techniques, trends, and programs to support the college's strategic DEI goals. You will be given the autonomy needed to identify areas of opportunity and the resources required to assess success of DEI efforts within the college. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with leadership across the college, University, and broader community to create, expand, and implement DEI programs that support students, faculty, staff and community members. You will find also multiple opportunities for professional development.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Penn-State-Harrisburg/Assistant-Dean-for-Diversity--Equity-and-Inclusion_REQ_0000011404-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Executive Director of Internal Audit
Western Washington University
Advanced Assistant or Associate Professor - Histo…
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Assistant Director Residence Life
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Director of Student Accounts
Dean, School of Public Health
University of Minnesota