Teacher of Biology/Chemistry
Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Teacher of Biology/Chemistry to start on August 18, 2021. We are looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students’ development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with motivated students. As a private boarding school, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community. Interested candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to teenagers and working with students in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility is to teach science courses for all levels: introductory biology and chemistry, Advanced Placement biology, and senior project-based courses.
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, coaching sports or supervising co-curricular activities, dining hall duties, and committee work.
- Three years of experience teaching biology and chemistry at the high school or college level.
- A master’s degree (preferred).
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected military veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.