Assistant Director for Residence Life and Facilities
- East Stroudsburg University
- East Stroudsburg, PA
East Stroudsburg University's Residential and Dining Services (RDS) within the Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence division presently seeks a professional member to serve as Assistant Director for Residence Life and Facilities (ADRLF). This is a 12-month, live-off position that reports directly to the Director of Residential and Dining Services. In collaboration with the Director, the ADRLF manages the administrative, programmatic, and supervisory tasks associated with all facets of the Residence Life program, serving up to 3,000 residential students. The ADRLF is also expected to supervise Residential Learning Coordinators, Graduate Learning Coordinators, Resident Advisors, and Desk Receptionists in an effort to provide oversight of housing initiatives, residence life programming, and assessment. The ADRLF also assists the Director or other appropriate administrators in the management of one or more aspects of residential facilities or grounds units and/or functions. The ADRLF covers the management and oversight of residence hall building use, stewardship, operation, repair, and maintenance of university facilities or grounds.
Residence Life Essential Functions
- Provide direct supervision to:
- 3-4 Residential Learning Coordinators, indirect supervision to 2-3 Graduate Residential Learning Coordinators, 85 Resident Advisors and 140 Desk Attendants
- Manage annual budgets administered by professional and student staff, along with student leadership organizations, and provide data-driven recommendations on budgetary needs for annual financial requests.
- Support the daily work of housing administration, ensuring that residence life staff members contribute to the management of occupancy.
Residential Facilities Essential Functions
- Provide direct supervision to custodial, maintenance, and contracted staff members supporting residential facilities.
- Responsible for the overall management of maintenance and custodial services.
- On-site liaison for communication and project management with Director for Residential and Dining Services and University Facilities.
- Administer, in collaboration with Upward Bound Leadership and Conference Services, summer housing assistance for each group.
- Oversee and implement an emergency management plan that accounts for safety and compliments the operations.
- Fiscal oversight of an annual budget, the creation of an annual plan, and regular generation of financial and maintenance reports.
- Facilitate a student-centered approach to managing residence hall work orders, repairs damage billing processes.
Operations and Administration
- Create and manage a residence life programmatic calendar that supports the day-to-day living and learning experiences within the halls.
- Serve in a 24/7 leadership on-call rotation.
- Manage warranty processes for building systems while working with retail partners and contracted vendors to ensure facilities upkeep is managed well and disruptions to the community are minimal.
- Envision and implement workspaces for maintenance equipment and staff, maintaining inventory and safety of facilities equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Create and manage a facilities maintenance plan that includes a preventative maintenance and capital projects schedule.
- Coordinate capital projects, and ensure facility contract compliance, and best practice service standards in conjunction with Director for Residential and Dining Services.
- Verify institutional compliance in collaboration with University Facilities with state and city regulations.
- Oversee turn process for summer camps/conferences and academic year residential program.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to feedback with performance and accountability solutions.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings with the residence life, custodial, and maintenance teams and participate in weekly meetings with the Residential and Dining Services leadership team.
Staff Training and Development
- Oversee the administration of annual training and development experiences for the Residence Life staff team.
- Guide efforts of the professional staff team in constructing performance strategies, learning outcomes, and assessment tools that support the growth of residence life staff.
- Coordinate with Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence monthly professional development experiences that support the goals of the division.
- Provides training to facilities management employees and coordinates training support from outside vendors and consultants as necessary to support safety and environmental program implementation.
- Create, update, maintain, and enforce the Operations Manual and Preventive Maintenance Plan, and Emergency Protocol Manual.
Organizational Recruitment and Selection
- Oversee all recruitment efforts for Residence Life and Facilities at both the student staff, graduate, and professional levels.
- Guide efforts of the professional staff team in constructing performance strategies, learning outcomes, and assessment tools that support the development of talent throughout Residence Life staff and Facilities.
- Work closely with Human Resources, Graduate Studies, and other campus entities to appropriately attract and employ talent for the organization.
Behavioral Management and Crisis Response
- Manage daily behavioral concerns within the residence halls in collaboration with Residence Life staff and campus partners.
- Parter with Student Conduct and Community Standards to train staff on administrative practices related to behavior and accountability.
- Advise the Director for Residential and Dining Services on matters related to students of concern as the liaison for the CARE team.
Student Engagement and Leadership
- Create, in alignment with a curriculum geared toward organizational engagement as a division, a leadership platform that focuses on personal and communal involvement within the residence halls.
- Oversee the development of the three student organizations housed within Residential Services: Residence Hall Association, Moses Society (Resident Advisor Honorary), and the National Residence Hall Honorary.
- Encourage the growth of the Community Board model for all residence halls, challenging Residence Life staff to create opportunities for residents to lead where they live.
Assessment and Evaluation
- Guide the annual development of organizational strategic planning, goal setting, program evaluation, and policy review.
- Assess and evaluate the performance of Residence Life and Facilities staff members on a regular basis and during the yearly departmental evaluation process.
- Oversee the planning, creation, coordination, and implementation of departmental assessment efforts, including the creation and maintenance of departmental learning outcomes, surveys, and other quantitative data collection, focus groups and other qualitative data collection, analyzing collected data, and reporting data in creative ways, including infographics and annual reports.
- Plan and create documents to report appropriate outcomes and data to various stakeholders.
- Review and audit work orders for completion, accuracy, and quality of requested work.
- Analyze maintenance trends and develop a proactive plan to address concerns.
- Assess buildings’ conditions and make recommendations for long-term capital improvements.
- Oversee the facilitation of student satisfaction surveys.
Academic Initiatives Development
- Provide oversight and support for the administration and operation of academic initiatives throughout the residence halls.
- Serve as the developer of and assist the construction and implementation of Residential Colleges and Living Learning Communities.
- Utilize best practices and data to assist in the development of new communities and sustaining existing communities.
- Work collaboratively with Academic Affairs, Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence, and Enrollment Services to promote academic initiatives via printed publication, website, recruitment events, social media, etc.
- Train professional and student staff to work with specific residential academic initiatives.
- Provide guidance and resources for event planning-related residential learning community programming.
- Develop recognition and awards for academic initiatives within residential communities.
- Create a Memorandum of Understanding for each community.
Facilities Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
- Not applicable for Facilities Operations
- Potentially required for Residence Life-related responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree obtained from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Five or more years of full-time professional experience.
- Demonstrated competency in Residence Life Staff Supervision and Oversight, Staff Training and Development, Organizational Recruitment and Selection, Behavioral Management and Crisis Response, Student Engagement and Leadership, Assessment and Evaluation, Learning and Growth Initiatives.
- Familiarity with capital projects, development of maintenance reports and presentation of results to constituents, and experience in student or multi-family housing or in a higher education environment.
- Effective one-on-one, small group, and campus relationship management with customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Capable of identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to work in a multicultural/multiethnic environment and capacity to function effectively in a high-energy work environment with constant demands from a variety of sources.
- Competency with Microsoft Office, property management software, work order management system student tracking databases effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Master's degree in College Student Personnel/Student Affairs or equivalent educational program.
- Knowledge of building systems such as chilled water HVAC systems, fan coil units, building automation control systems, rooftop outside air units, etc.
- Extensive experience:
- using Adirondack Systems (The Housing Director and Conduct Coordinator), Banner, and StarFish.
- in business administration, facilities, project management, or a related field, the opening of new buildings and property, and the ability to manage multiple buildings and staff.
- with new construction operations and renovation work.
- in property management, facilities management, or related field.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
8am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday and as business needs demand.
$65,000.00, actual salary commensurate with skills, and years of experience. Excellent benefits. Final selection will be based upon a successful interview and background check. All candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. at the time of employment.
03/17/2021 through 3/31/2021
Special Instructions to Applicant:
The University encourages applications from members of historically under-represented groups, including women, veterans, and persons with disabilities, and is an AA/EEO employer. East Stroudsburg University is interested in hiring employees who have extensive experience with diverse populations. To learn more about diversity at ESU and in our community, visit our website at www.esu.edu/about/offices/diversity_equal_opportunity/index.cfm.
For information on the University's Annual Clery Crime and Fire statistics report, please go to our University Police home page at: https://www.esu.edu/university_police/index.cfm
Link for Application: https://ESU.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=esu&id=5124
More search results
Director Academic Resources
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Senior Vice President for Talent, Culture, & Huma…
Ohio State University
Chief Diversity Officer
University of Delaware
Director of Finance and Operations
Friends’ Central School
Academic or Clinical Program Management & Service…
University of Iowa- College of Public Health- OEH