- Louisiana State University Shreveport
- Shreveport, LA
Louisiana State University Shreveport
College of Business
About the University
Louisiana State University Shreveport (LSUS), a member of the Louisiana State University System’s multi-campus, multipurpose system of higher education, exerts a major influence on the economic, social, and cultural life of its citizens. With a student/teacher ratio of 25-1, small class sizes maximize individualized instruction and class sizes are smaller than most at comparable institutions. This intimate learning environment lends itself to individualized instruction and personalized learning. In the classroom, students will have the opportunity to work with highly engaged and trained faculty, with 80% of faculty having a terminal degree.
LSUS is located in a vibrant metropolitan area in northwest Louisiana which provides an exciting mix of cultural events, college and professional sports, outdoor recreation and shopping. With a population of over 300,000 residents and a progressive business and industry community, the metropolitan area provides ample opportunities for LSUS students to complete internships and supplement their income with part-time employment.
About the College
Recently ranked as the #1 MBA program by Intelligent.com, the College of Business provides undergraduate and graduate programs and is accredited by AACSB International, placing it in the top 5% of business schools worldwide. The College consists of four departments (Accounting / Business Law; Economics / Finance; Management / Marketing, and the James K. Elrod Department of Health Administration) and administers 2 graduate degrees, 5 undergraduate degrees, and a growing number of certificate programs. The MBA program, a 100% online degree, has over 6,000 students from across the globe and its success has made LSUS the fastest growing university in Louisiana.
The mission of the College of Business is to educate, engage, and empower learners for future opportunities and challenges.
The vision of the College of Business is to build its reputation, regionally and nationally, by continuing to deliver a challenging curriculum, strengthening ties with the business community, and embracing diversity.
About the Position
The Dean of the College of Business sets the vision for the college and provides collaborative leadership and oversight of academic programs. Under the direction of the Provost and in consultation with the college’s Associate and Assistant Deans, the Dean plans strategically for growth and innovation in programs and curricula, for prudent budget management, for the hiring and retention of excellent college faculty and staff, and for accreditation and assessment compliance and reporting. He or she will be an experienced team player who works collegially with other Deans, participates in developing interdisciplinary programs, and empowers Department Chairs and Program Directors to foster outstanding student learning and achievement. The Dean of the College of Business will also have a proven track record in developing and promoting community and external support for the College’s programs.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Dean supervises department chairs and program directors, oversees faculty hires, and approves curricular changes. The Dean reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and is a member of the Vice Chancellor’s academic leadership team. The Dean is a conduit between the College’s academic departments and the Office of Academic Affairs and is responsible for:
- Fostering an institutional attitude and develop a team concept for university unity through communicating with other colleges in the university to exchange ideas, information, and resources.
- Responding to and resolving faculty, student, and staff issues and concerns, as appropriate to the academic program area.
- Developing an intellectual, innovative and cooperative atmosphere conducive to the professional growth of students, faculty, and staff and to provide opportunities commensurate with their abilities.
- Working externally to develop and maintain strong relationships with business, nonprofit, and government entities to facilitate their interaction with students, faculty, and staff in a wide variety of activities.
- Promoting and developing external support for the College’s programs through fundraising and collaborative activities.
- Providing leadership in developing and implementing short-range and long-range plans for the College, including program development and expansion.
- Ensuring the compatibility of short-range and long-range plans with the philosophy and objectives of the college and with the needs of the external community.
- Identifying emerging academic issues and recommend appropriate program responses to ensure curriculum and curricular resources are current, relevant, and innovative to foster workforce development.
- Maintaining and support the on-going process of curriculum improvement, revision, development, and program accreditation.
- Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Working externally to promote international student recruitment, exchange programs, and collaborative activities.
- Ensuring budget goals are met on an annual basis in accordance with established University standards, goals, and objectives.
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships among faculty and staff.
The next Dean will have an earned doctorate, significant administrative experience in an academic business environment, and academic credentials and experience necessary for appointment at the rank of tenured professor.
The following are preferred qualifications for the role:
- A record of scholarship and service
- University-level teaching experience, to include in-class and/or online settings
- Administrative experience equivalent to the department chair level or above
- A track record of successful and collaborative leadership
- A track record of building community support
- Experience in pursuing and maintaining AACSB accreditation
- Strong commitment to racial, cultural, and gender diversity
- Personal and professional integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with inter-disciplinary endeavors
- Demonstrated experience with existing and emerging instructional design
- Experience in cultivating external resources and managing relationships with external stakeholders to further the mission of the College
- Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Louisiana State University Shreveport in the search for the Dean of the College of Business. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications, (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to April 1, 2021. Please submit applications through the Parker Executive Search website. The anticipated start date for the position is no later than July 1, 2021.For additional information, please contact:
Laurie Wilder, President
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Grant Higgison, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext.: 118
Louisiana State University Shreveport is an AA/EEO Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected class.