Assistant / Associate Professor of Professional Education (Elementary Education)
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 17, 2021
JOB TYPE: Full-time Probationary Tenure-Track
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as an Assistant or Associate Professor of Professional Education. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
BSU is located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota and occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. BSU balances rigorous academia with the opportunity to enjoy a fun, robust, outdoor culture. The proximity to the lake and the surrounding north woods allows easy access to an assortment of recreation. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season underground passages for safe and warm travel during the cold, winter months.
Enrolling around 5,000 students, BSU offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values include civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and environmental stewardship.
Since 1919, Bemidji State University has focused on preparing thoughtful, competent and compassionate teachers. Over the years, we’ve developed numerous partnerships with local public schools to ensure that our programs remain relevant, rigorous and replete with opportunities for hands-on learning. We offer undergraduate, graduate, licensure and certificate programs, as well as a variety of endorsements and electives. The Department is fully committed to equity and diversity in our faculty and students.
Responsibilities of the Assistant/Associate Professor of Professional Education include:
- Teaching elementary (K-6) science and/or social studies methods courses. Courses include, but are not limited to, Social Studies in the Elementary School, Elementary Science Methods, and graduate level courses.
- Contributing to a program of scholarship within the discipline, student advising, service to the University and community, and other associated faculty duties.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values.
- Contributing to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
- Assisting with state, regional, national accreditation and program approvals.
- Supervising student teachers.
- Serving on a Master’s level research paper/capstone project committee as an advisor, committee member, or graduate representative.
- Commitment to quality teaching and continued professional development.
- Knowledge and use of D2L Brightspace, Taskstream, and/or other online platforms for instruction and data management.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Either actively enrolled in a regionally accredited doctoral degree program with at least 18 graduate credits in social studies and/or science or an earned doctorate with at least 18 graduate credits in science and/or social studies from a regionally accredited institution at the start of employment.
- At least three years of K-6 teaching as teacher of record.
- Professional teaching license; with an elementary K-6, 1-6, K-5 or 1-5 license.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience teaching, or knowledge/interest in working with Native American students.
- Demonstrated experience with and/or interest in working with students and colleagues from multicultural and diverse backgrounds and using culturally responsive pedagogy and practice.
- Evidence or willingness to collaborate with peers for planning, instruction, and assessment of a variety of learners (i.e. gifted and talented, struggling learners).
Apply online: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/
If you have general questions about this posting or submitting an application, contact Teresa Hanson at email@example.com