Vice President, Finance & Operations
Adler University is currently seeking its next Vice President of Finance & Operations. Under the direction of the President, the Vice President, Finance & Operations serves as a key member of the senior management team and the President’s Cabinet. As needed and/or required, attends meetings of the board of trustees and the finance committee of the board. Directs, plans, and sets the strategic direction for all functions within scope of the institution’s financial management and operations verticals. Ensures operational excellence and long-term visioning toward supporting the institutions strategic plan and macro-level vision. Oversees the planning, coordination, and evaluation of various finance and operations services, policies, and programs and provides supervision to functional specific managing leaders. The Vice President, Finance & Operations provides thought-leadership to the university while leveraging industry knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the institution. Supports culture development and management efforts.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Higher Ed Leadership/Administration, Business Administration, Operations Management, Accounting, Finance, or relevant discipline required. Terminal degree preferred.
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience performing executive-level work (short and long-term strategic planning, human capital supervision and development, priority and action plan development, risk mitigation and financial management) in business management, operations, finance or related functional area required. Experience in higher education and/or non-profit preferred.
- Project Management Professional certification or Lean Six Sigma designation preferred.
- Knowledge of fund accounting and project management
- Experience working within dynamic environments with internal and external stakeholders as well as the ability to leverage influence to drive change and influence stakeholders
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on observations
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler’s social justice mission and vision
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing these
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Work, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook)
- Strong research acumen and abilities
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening
Supervision (if applicable): AVP, Finance, AVP, Information Technology, Registrar, Director of Financial Aid, Director of Institutional Effectiveness, and Manager of Facilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Financial Management & Fiscal Operations
- Manages the financial affairs of the University, including:
- Monitoring budgets and purchasing, providing monthly financial reports, preparing projections and multi-year planning financial models.
- Communicating budget, financial results, and fiscal responsibility to stakeholders across the University.
- Reviewing contracts for liability and contractual commitments with the assistance of legal counsel as needed.
- Advising the president and board of trustees regarding the University’s fiscal health, sustainability, and growth.
- Staffing the board finance and audit committee.
- Collaborates with other University leaders to develop short- and long-term strategies and financial plans consistent with the strategic plan and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and practices.
- Measures compliance with approved operating plans and report results to all levels of management, auditors, federal agencies, and accrediting agencies. prepare information and reports for the president, and at the president’s direction, present information and report to the finance and audit committees of the board of trustees.
- Working with the Institutional Advancement Office, oversees management of operating, endowment, and investment accounts consistent with donor-required and other fund restrictions.
- Where applicable, negotiates agreements for the University with outside organizations including banks, investment managers, vendors, consultants, etc., monitoring their performance and approving payments.
- Ensure operational excellence through the oversight of all services necessary to maintain efficient and effective operations for a 24-7 university and to meet the demands of its students, faculty, and staff.
- Determines and formulates policies and provide overall direction of university operations.
- Ensures compliance with all domain-specific and relevant laws, regulations, policies, and operating agreements.
- Directs and sets the strategic priority for operational departments including: Information Technology, Finance & Accounting, Facilities (Chgo), Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Manages domain-specific operating budgets and allocates resources to optimize business results.
- Develops strategies to drive growth, profitability and effective allocation of resources as well as continuously evaluates opportunities for system-wide process improvement driving operational efficiencies.
- Prepares and/or contributes to the preparation of reports, briefings, presentations, and responses on institutional and strategic issues, as appropriate.
- Oversees, manages, and monitors the University’s policies on risk and insurance management.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
COVID-19 considerations: The health and safety of our staff/faculty and their families, as well as our stakeholders, potential candidates, and the communities we serve, are of the utmost importance. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this role will temporarily be performed remotely. The successful candidate will train and work from home until such time as it is determined that role will return to the campus full-time.
To apply click link below:
- Applicants should electronically submit a complete application including: a cover letter addressing qualifications and interests, as well as a resume.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The University does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. As part of the Adler's equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities