Dean, College of Arts and Humanities
- California State University, Fresno
- Fresno, CA
California State University, Fresno
Dean, College of Arts and Humanities
California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) seeks a new dean in the College of Arts and Humanities, who will partner with faculty, staff, and students to lead the institution in the pursuit of academic excellence and student success.
California State University, Fresno, one of the 23 campuses of the California State University system, is the premier regional university serving Central California's diverse and growing community. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while interacting with the state, nation and world. Service to the region is an important part of the University's mission. The prestigious Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching awarded the University its Community Engagement classification, acknowledging its extensive partnership with Central California. California State University, Fresno, with a current enrollment of more than 23,000 students, is a minority-serving institution, and a federally designated Hispanic-serving (HSI), and Asian American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-serving (AANAPISI) institution, reflecting the rich diversity of Central California.
At the heart of Fresno State, the College of Arts and Humanities is the largest teaching academic unit of the University, serving over 2700 students. It is a stimulating center of intellectual and cultural activity, dedicated to academic excellence, integrity, intellectual freedom, and civic and cultural engagement with the San Joaquin Valley. The College consists of nine departments--Art and Design, Communication, English, Linguistics, Mass Communication and Journalism, Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures, Music, Philosophy, and Theatre and Dance—in addition to housing the Armenian Studies program. The College is committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and promoting a teaching and learning environment that encourages students to explore their intellectual and artistic potential, overcome challenges, pursue their aspirations, and succeed in their path to earning a degree and reaching their career goals.
The College supports five art galleries, including the Phebe Conley Art Gallery; the M Street Graduate Art Studios/Gallery in Downtown Fresno; 16 discipline-specific computer labs, a tutorial Writing Center, the Concert Hall, Wahlberg Recital Hall, and the University Press. Additional facilities include the fully-equipped John Wright Theatre, the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Arena Theatre, numerous studios that provide creative space for dance, painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, television and film production; as well as a foundry and smart classrooms.
The Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities provides leadership and vision for the future of the College. Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is the senior academic and administrative officer of the College and is responsible for providing visionary leadership of the College's strategic, operational, and financial matters. The Dean is expected to provide the open, collaborative, and dynamic leadership necessary to preserve and enhance the University's commitment to a student-centered education.
The next Dean will be a strong advocate for the needs of students, will seek opportunities to further faculty development, creativity, and scholarship; recognize and support the contributions of staff, and raise the visibility of the College. In order to do so, the Dean will work closely with faculty, staff, alumni, and university leadership to advance the College's tradition of academic excellence, teaching, and community engagement.
The successful candidate will possess a distinguished record of leadership and academic service; experience building external relations, and a dynamic vision for the future of the College in this historical moment. Leading candidates will possess:
- An earned doctorate or MFA, from an accredited institution;
- A solid record of teaching, service, and scholarly/creative achievements sufficient to merit appointment as Professor in one of the College's disciplines;
- A track record of support for issues of social justice and a commitment to academic freedom;
- A successful record of academic administrative leadership and experience at the department level or above;
- Experience managing a complex budget, integrating budget decisions and strategic planning, and ensuring institutional efficiency;
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance and to staff and faculty professional growth and development;
- Demonstrated commitment to working with an ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse campus and community, and sensitivity to the needs of all students while closing equity gaps for underrepresented populations;
- Experience in obtaining and managing major grants and contracts, as well as a demonstrated record of commitment to supporting faculty research, professional development, and excellence in teaching;
- Demonstrated experience in the area of fundraising and external relations, as well as in spearheading broader advancement efforts, to build relationships and to connect donors and community partners with philanthropic opportunities;
For a full list of qualifications visit: https://www.storbeckpimentel.com/pd/FresnoCAH.pdf.
Application / Nomination Process
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Priority consideration date is February 22, 2021. Applicants must submit a current curriculum vitae, a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Robin Reyes, Senior Associate
Refer to code "Fresno State Dean CSB" in the sub Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency