- Williston State College
- Williston, North Dakota
Williston State College
Where the People Make the Difference
Williston, North Dakota
The North Dakota University System (NDUS), State Board of Higher Education and the Williston State College community invite nominations and applications for the position of President. The college is one of 11 publicly supported colleges and universities comprising the NDUS. WSC is located in Williston, the Williams County seat; the city is recognized as the regional hub of northwest North Dakota.
The successful candidate will succeed Dr. John Miller, who is retiring following five years at WSC, serving the past three years with distinction as President. The President of Williston State College reports to the NDUS Chancellor.
Founded in 1961 and approaching its 60th anniversary, the college remains committed to student excellence, quality student experiences, and open communication. A knowledgeable, dedicated faculty and staff work on behalf of over 1,100 students in a diverse, learner-centered, supportive, and success-focused environment. The college takes pride in providing an affordable, accessible, and high quality education to its students, guiding programs leading to Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees. The Associate of Applied Science, the Program Certificate, and the Certificate of Completion are awarded to students completing career-technical programs. Students are engaged in arts and cultural programs and several academic interest clubs; WSC's Teton athletes compete at the NJCAA level in the Mon-Dak Athletic Conference.
The next Williston State College president will have the opportunity to join a genuinely caring, close-knit higher education community. College constituencies and stakeholders alike are determined to provide accessible, affordable, life-changing, and lifelong educational pathways to residents of North Dakota and the Upper Plains. In keeping with the college's values, the governing board and college seek an energetic, can-do president who will bring inspired and innovative leadership along with seasoned managerial skills. The preferred candidate will arrive with senior level administrative and/or teaching experience at a two-year college.
Applicants for the presidency of Williston State College should possess the following experiences and characteristics:
- Commitment to a students-first focus and appreciation for students with diverse backgrounds, needs, and goals;
- Determination to support an affirmative, non-partisan environment and implement diversity and inclusion initiatives among students, faculty, and staff;
- Business sense and success in finance, budget allocation, and resource generation with private gifts and state/federal grants;
- Advocate of career and technical education, transfer programs, customized training, and workforce development;
- Focused vision and successful experience with strategic planning design and delivery;
- Knowledge of enrollment management, methods, strategies, and retention;
- Experience with accreditation demands at the national and regional levels;
- Champion of professional development for faculty, staff, and a senior leadership team;
- Unifying bridge builder with diverse stakeholders, including the state legislature, tribal leaders, business/industry, K-12, statewide higher education, and the city of Williston;
- Willing partner on a statewide team, working closely with the State Board of Higher Education, Board staff, and colleague presidents;
- Transformational, energetic presence with entrepreneurial spirit to enhance both image and support of the college;
- Inspiring, fair team player and team builder with respect for the shared governance environment;
- Approachable with transparent spoken, written, listening, and interpersonal skills; and
- An earned doctorate/terminal degree from an accredited institution of higher education, preferred but not required.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
To assure best consideration, applications and nominations should be received by February 8, 2021. The application should include a letter of interest of not more than three pages; a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of five professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers.
Applications will remain confidential through the finalist stage to the extent permitted by law. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Following campus visits by finalists, the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education will conduct interviews and make the final selection. The new president will assume office by July 2021.
The search is being assisted by James McCormick and Janice Fitzgerald, Executive Search Consultants, AGB Search. Contact may be made at firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188, or email@example.com, 717-580-0663. Responses should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Williston State College, go to https://www.willistonstate.edu.
CONFIDENTIALITY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS: Pursuant to NDCC 44-04-18.27, applications and any records related to the applications that identify an applicant are confidential, except records related to the finalists for the position, which are open to the public after the search committee has identified the top three finalists who will be invited to campus.
EEO/AA STATEMENT: The North Dakota University System is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE NOTICE: Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.
NO SMOKING NOTICE: As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and I-9 employment certification is required at hire. There is no sponsorship available for this position.
Successful completion of a criminal history background check for finalists is required.
More search results
Director & Professor of Advertising & Public Rela…
University of Texas at Austin
Assistant Professor in Stem Cell Biology or Regen…
University of California, Irvine
Assistant or Associate Professor of Strategic Man…
University of Houston-Downtown
Director of Athletics and Recreation
University of Chicago
Project Support Specialist
NMSU Aggie Service Center