- California State University, Fullerton
- Fullerton, CA
California State University, Fullerton
Dean, College of Business and Economics
California State University, Fullerton (Cal State Fullerton or CSUF) seeks a visionary, collaborative leader to serve as Dean of the College of Business and Economics. The Dean will have the opportunity to shape and guide the College through a pivotal time in the history of higher education, with the chance to impact the direction and success of the College for years to come.
The College of Business and Economics (CBE), the largest AACSB–accredited business school on the West Coast, with over 23,000 students earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees during the past decade to prepare them for success in the workplace. Working across six academic departments and over a dozen Centers of Excellence, the College’s faculty not only teach and mentor students but also conduct groundbreaking world-class research within their respective disciplines. The College also benefits from its dynamic location in California, the fifth largest economy in the world, and in Orange County, one of the largest, most diverse economies in the country. The immense presence of CBE in the region has strong links to the economic progress of the area.
Cal State Fullerton is the largest campus in the California State University system. Standing on 241 acres in the heart of Southern California, Cal State Fullerton is a large, comprehensive, urban university with more than 41,000 students and 4,127 full- and part-time faculty and staff members. The university combines the best qualities of teaching and research universities, with actively engaged students, faculty, and staff working in close collaboration to expand knowledge. In fall of 2020, U.S. News & World Report ranked CSUF fourth among regional public universities in the West. In addition, Cal State Fullerton is number one in the CSU and number one in California among public universities in the number of bachelor’s degrees awarded.
The next Dean will bring to Cal State Fullerton a passion for supporting student learning, world-class faculty, and a dedicated staff. The College sits well-poised to engage even more fully with the surrounding business and alumni community, to build bridges across the university, and to manage the College to its fullest potential of education and research. The College enjoys an unusually dynamic environment, serving a wide swath of students, including a majority of first generation and underrepresented students. CBE Faculty merge theory with practice to help guide graduates into not just jobs, but careers. By virtue of its scale and position – the largest business college of the largest university of the largest university system of the largest economy in the country – the leadership work of the new Dean will have an impact far beyond the walls of the College of Business and Economics.
The Dean’s primary responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing strong, consistent, transparent, and fair leadership.
- Ensuring collaborative and collegial decision-making within the College and with stakeholders throughout the university and local community.
- Shaping a vision for the College that is consistent with the university’s strategic plan and ongoing strategic planning within the College.
- Leading the College’s fundraising and grant-seeking efforts, as well as building relationships with stakeholders.
- Enhancing the College’s ability to enable ethnically and culturally diverse students, faculty, and staff to thrive.
- Increasing the College’s visibility in academic and professional communities nationally and internationally.
- Leading the College’s educational efforts by building and strengthening pipelines for students from all backgrounds to become successful, engaged CBE graduates and alumni.
- Creating and sustaining an environment supportive of research, scholarship, and creative activity for all faculty within all departments and programs, including leveraging the centers of excellence in the College.
- Providing oversight of the College’s instructional programs including leadership in curriculum improvement, innovation, and assessment of student learning.
- Planning and administering the annual budgeting process and the budget for the College.
- Maintaining and overseeing AACSB accreditation.
- Serving as chief mentor and manager for the College’s staff and personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
The next Dean will build upon the College’s many strengths and further advance its mission to provide a high-quality, relevant, compelling business education to students from across Southern California and beyond. Serving as a collaborative, supportive, and approachable leader who models accountability and respect, the Dean will be a tireless advocate at all levels for support for the College’s success. In doing so, the Dean will craft and execute a comprehensive, forward-looking vision for the College; strengthen and grow external relationships; demonstrate thoughtful and strong internal management skills to bolster the College; Support high-quality education in an unprecedented environment; and serve as a collaborative, engaged, and inclusive campus leader.
CSUF has retained Isaacson, Miller, a national executive search firm, to assist in this search. Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. For best consideration, please apply by January 8, 2021. Inquiries, nominations, referrals, and CVs with cover letters should be sent via the Isaacson, Miller website for the search: www.imsearch.com/7687.
Cati Mitchell-Crossley, Emily Chiswick-Patterson, and Thea Kosmack
1000 Sansome Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94111
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.