- Nevada State College
- Henderson, NV
Lecturer of Mathematics
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada State College invites applications for a Lecturer of Mathematics to begin in August of 2021.
About Nevada State College
Founded in 2002, Nevada State College (NSC) is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC faculty work in state-of-the-art facilities that feature “smart” classrooms. The average class size across campus is 27 students. For more information about NSC, watch this video about student life at NSC.
NSC, a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), serves over 5,000 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved; a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. As a teaching-oriented institution, our faculty focus on high-quality instruction, engaging learning experiences, and innovative techniques to improve student learning.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
The ideal candidate will share the College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Fall 2019, we currently enroll over 5,500 students in which 38% are Hispanic, 12% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 8% are Black/African American, 26% are White, and 10% are multiracial. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum that's culturally responsive to the students it serves.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
- Teach 30 credits per year. A typical schedule would be 12 units in fall, 12 units in spring, and 6 units in summer
- Teach in a variety of formats (e.g., in-person, hybrid, online) and provide quality feedback and learning opportunities
- Serve on departmental and college-wide committees
- Participate in college recruiting events
- M.A. in Mathematics or related field
- Ability to teach a variety of courses including, but not limited to: MATH 120 Intro to College Math, MATH 126 Pre-Calculus, and MATH 127 Trigonometry
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and a genuine interest in joining NSC, a teaching college dedicated to providing opportunities for a largely underserved student population
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- Experience with online or hybrid courses (online courses at NSC use the Canvas learning management system)
- Experience with LaTeX, Desmos, Mathematica, or other mathematical software
- Desire to work directly with and/or supervise mathematics students in clubs and internships
- Experience with a math co-requisite remediation model
- Experience with curriculum development
As a teaching college working with an underserved population, we place a high emphasis on translating our academic preparation into exemplary classroom experiences through our dedication to quality instruction and mentoring. You will work in technology-rich facilities and are encouraged to explore creative ideas and techniques to improve student learning
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
- Rank of Lecturer; non-tenure track. 12-month renewable contract
- Budgeted salary for this position is $ 51,500 per year
- Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed CV or resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Letter of interest indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
- Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted).
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Lecturer-of-Mathematics_R0122699-1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Assistant Professor of Chemistry (Organic)
The University of Tampa
Acting Assistant Professor in Statistics
University of Washington, Department of Statistics
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR LEGAL AFFAIRS AND GENER…
Assistant or Associate Professors in Design, Comp…
Texas Tech University College of Architecture