Senior Export Control Officer (SECO)
The Ohio State University
The Office of Secure Research (OSR) has oversight of Ohio State’s compliance with export and national security related regulations and obligations including compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the National Industry Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM).
The Senior Export Control Officer will support the University’s mission to manage the execution of compliance programs and policies, mainly related to export controls and sanctions regulations. Under the direction of the OSR Director, the SECO is responsible for identifying compliance requirements and potential vulnerabilities regarding the proper handling of export-controlled information and materials by reviewing all university activity intersecting with export control regulations and determining its applicability to the Fundamental Research Exclusion. The individual in this position will manage the university-wide export control compliance program. This position will lead the strategic planning to prioritize and oversee all export control and sanction regulation activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of and adherence to policies and procedures to ensure compliance with U.S. regulations and University policies as well as to facilitate the implementation of comprehensive institution-wide compliance initiatives. This position will report to the Director of the Office of Secure Research.
Performance Objectives Overview:
- Ensure compliance within the institutional export control compliance program as well as provide approval oversight of institutional processes.
- Effectively communicate the mission and goals of export control in an effort to improve current processes, solicit ideas for improving problematic areas and addressing compliance issues.
- Collaborate with the Director, OSR in managing the university-wide export control compliance program; attend regular meetings to provide updates; make recommendations regarding policies or procedures when necessary; and advise and provide recommendations to the director on the implementation of emerging trends and initiatives.
- Draft and submit formal export license applications with federal agencies and maintain all necessary records. Manage and maintain University’s registration with various regulatory agencies’ systems for ensuring compliance including registration with the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), D Trade, SNAP-R, etc.
- Identify compliance requirements and potential vulnerabilities regarding the proper handling of export-controlled information, materials or technology.
- Lead in collaboration with the Director on efforts to align, inform and educate key constituents within the Office of Research, Office of University Compliance and Integrity, and University community to develop institutional policies, procedures, training and learning materials, best practices, and improvement efforts that meet export control compliance requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education
- 5+ years of experience in implementation and oversight of an export control program in a corporate, or academic research, research administration and compliance environment
- 1+ years of experience in technology or technical data classifications according to the federal regulations, and the submission and management of export and deemed export licenses
- In-depth knowledge of relevant federal export control regulations, including those pursuant to EAR, ITAR, and OFAC, as well as National Security Decision Directive 189
- Ability to use Visual Compliance or similar export control software
- Possess a solid business and management acumen, critical thinking and leadership skills
- Proven ability to build relationships with a wide variety of constituencies and leverage those effectively, and lead by example
- Ability to develop strong relationships and work with senior-level administration and faculty, and be receptive to their feedback
- Have superior verbal, written and visual communication and presentation skills
- Ability to balance working independently and with a team, exercise judgment and discretion for effective decision making and problem solving
- Have strong interpersonal skills for effectively engaging and influencing individuals and groups.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in STEM related field.
- 1+ years of experience of sponsored research and compliance experience in higher education
- 5+ years of experience creating and implementing compliance strategies and technology control programs
- 5+ years of experience in academic research, research administration, and compliance
- Excellent project management skills and ability to work with others to establish comprehensive strategies with appropriate objectives, metrics and execution schedules.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.
How to Apply:
For more details and to apply, please visit https://osujoblinks.com/7mif