Dean of the College of Science and Engineering
- Central Michigan University
- Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Dean of the College of Science and Engineering
Central Michigan University (CMU) invites applications and nominations for the position of dean of the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). The dean of the College of Science and Engineering is responsible for all operations of the College and provides leadership regarding graduate and undergraduate education both on- and off-campus. The dean reports to the executive vice president/provost and is a member of the Council of Deans, Academic Senate, and Academic Planning Council.
The dean works closely with the other academic college deans and the vice president for research and innovation, as well as other administrative leaders, department chairs, and program coordinators. The academic units that comprise the College include: the School of Engineering and Technology; the Departments of Biology; Chemistry & Biochemistry; Computer Science; Earth & Atmospheric Sciences; Geography & Environmental Studies; Mathematics; Physics; and Statistics, Actuarial, & Data Sciences. The dean is expected to support the Leadership Standards of Central Michigan University and foster a culture that inspires excellence. CMU leaders are expected to seek input from teams to continuously improve leadership abilities and to demonstrate implementation of the standards. Additionally, CMU leaders are responsible for encouraging and supporting the growth and development of faculty, staff, and students in order to advance CMU’s culture of excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and articulating a compelling vision for the basic and applied sciences, engineering, and technology within the College consistent with the University's overall vision and mission; encouraging support for that vision from within the College; and leading strategic and long-range planning efforts, while working with others to implement change;
- Serving as an advocate for the departments and programs comprising the College and developing and supporting new undergraduate and graduate programs that contribute to a broad understanding of scientific, engineering, and technologic knowledge;
- Demonstrating a commitment to academic excellence, attracting a diverse and academically talented student body, and raising standards for student performance;
- Advancing diversity and inclusion in recruitment and retention of students, faculty, and staff as well as advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in pedagogical practices, scholarship, and service activities;
- Advancing interdisciplinary collaboration both within the College and among other colleges;
- Working with department chairs and faculty and successfully recruiting, retaining, and fostering the professional development of diverse faculty who are strongly committed to excellence in their teaching, research, and service;
- Supporting innovative and effective pedagogy to foster student learning and engagement;
- Significantly advancing the amount of relevant and prominent research and external grant activity;
- Developing and maintaining successful relationships with funding entities to advance research and other functions (e.g., federal agencies, alumni, community, friends of CMU, etc.);
- Continuing to advance the College's successful development/fundraising programs;
- Cultivating and providing stewardship for corporate and foundation relationships;
- Promoting fruitful international partnerships;
- Providing sound fiscal leadership and being a fiscally responsible steward of university resources;
- Working productively within the parameters established by several collective bargaining agreements with members of the faculty and staff;
- Collaborating on the development and application of personnel policies and procedures within the College and ensuring compliance;
- Establishing, by example, the highest standards of personal and professional integrity; and
- Accomplishing all duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or requested.
- Supervisors are expected to support the Leadership Standards of Central Michigan University and foster a culture that inspires excellence. The Leadership Standards define how we lead and treat others in our workplace. Leaders are expected to seek input from their colleagues to continuously improve their leadership abilities and adherence to these leadership standards. Leaders are also expected to encourage and support the growth and development of those whom they lead. At CMU, we encourage employees to grow both personally and professionally, and thus advance CMU’s culture of excellence.
- Academic credentials in a science, engineering, or technology field and academic achievements appropriate for appointment as a tenured full professor in a department within the College;
- A record of outstanding administrative and academic leadership success;
- A record of teaching and research excellence and mentoring of students;
- Strong budgeting and financial planning experience;
- Innovative program development;
- A strong record of advocacy for diversity;
- Demonstrated success with shared governance;
- Evidence of effective communication skills; and
- An understanding of and commitment to public higher education.
- Prior effective administration of professional and/or scientific/engineering training programs as chair, associate dean, or dean;
- Successful record of securing external funding;
- Knowledge and experience with modalities of instruction (e.g., online, HyFlex, hybrid, etc.);
- Experience establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships at the university level;
- Successful fundraising experience;
- Oversight of college budgets and development of funding sources for growth areas in the College; and
- Experience working in a collective bargaining environment.
NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Central Michigan University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher & Associates. For a full application package, please provide a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Susanne Griffin, Vice President & Managing Director
Ann Bailey, Senior Executive Search Consultant
For more information about Central Michigan University, please visit: https://www.cmich.edu/
CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. CMU does not discriminate against persons based on age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religion, sex, sex-based stereotypes, sexual orientation, transgender status, veteran status, or weight (see http://www.cmich.edu/ocrie)
More search results
Professor and Director, School of Modeling, Simul…
University of Central Florida
Director, Division of Hematology and Oncology
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
Director of Health Services
Director, Women and Gender Studies Program and Ce…
George Mason University
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies
New Jersey Institute of Technology