- University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis
- St. Louis, Missouri
The Board of Trustees of University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis (UHSP) invites nominations and applications for the position of president. The president is the chief executive officer of the University and is responsible for its academic and administrative direction. The president reports to the Board of Trustees.
For more than 155 years, University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis has been preparing students for expert practice and leadership in pharmacy and health professions careers across the nation and around the world. Located in the Central West End neighborhood of St. Louis, in the heart of the Washington University Medical Campus, one of the world’s premier biomedical research and patient-care centers, UHSP provides innovative education, research, and career opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. We have been ranked #1 in the nation for return on investment in a bachelor's degree at 15 and 20 years after enrollment by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, the #1 private college of pharmacy in the nation for National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants during 2019, a Great College to Work For by The Chronicle of Higher Education since 2012, the #1 ranked private pharmacy institution in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy’s (AACP) most recent Funded Research Grant Institutional Rankings Report, and the 4th highest private college of pharmacy in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in 2020. The Department of Education College Scorecard data identifies the University as having the highest-earning graduates in Missouri.
The University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences and the St. Louis College of Pharmacy, each headed by a dean, and seven vice presidents reporting to the president. The dean of the College of Arts and Sciences provides academic leadership for the Department of Liberal Arts and the Department of Basic Sciences, which combined consists of 32 full-time faculty. The dean of St. Louis College of Pharmacy serves as the leader of the faculty and chief administrative officer for the College. The College contains two departments, the Department of Pharmacy Practice and the Department of Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences, which includes 60 full-time faculty members, seven of whom are residents. The vice presidents oversee the following areas: diversity & inclusion; finance; institutional advancement; marketing & enrollment services; operations; research; and student affairs.
The president has principal responsibility for achieving the University’s strategic vision; deploying and further building the human, capital, and financial resources; and advancing the University as a learning environment and workplace that is affirming for all. The new president will join a well-managed and much-respected institution that has a strong sense of community and a sincere dedication to students.
The successful candidate must possess high academic and personal standards, be energetic and persistent in the pursuit of excellence, and be comfortable with the values and culture of the University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis environment. The principle professional qualities and experience sought are:
- An earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree or equivalent experience in related health sciences, pharmacy, higher education administration or executive management of large organizations;
- A commitment to undergraduate, graduate, and professional education while understanding the importance of both the liberal arts and basic sciences to the overall educational success of our students;
- A comprehensive understanding of the current environment of healthcare education, the contemporary issues of healthcare practice, and the interdependence of the academic, business, and professional disciplines;
- The ability to assist in the development and execution of new strategic plans while respecting the heritage of the University;
- A thorough and complete understanding of the mission and vision of UHSP;
- Exceptional collaboration through leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate to, communicate with, and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals and groups. Such groups include, but are not limited to, members of the Board of Trustees, the University administration, deans, faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, community leaders, media, health care, and pharmaceutical leaders and educators, as well as other constituents;
- Establishment of direct contact and rapport with members of all the University’s constituencies including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis community;
- Extensive experience in personnel management, including, but not limited to, the development or expansion of key leadership positions, a delegation of authority, and conflict resolution;
- Successful skills in budget and staff management, capital campaigns and advancement, strategic planning, business management, and utilization of internal and external data;
- The ability to review operational costs and ensure that financial controls are in place for the proper fiscal management of the University;
- A demonstrated leadership in engaging the community in the discourse around social justice encompassing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- A commitment to diversity among the staff, faculty, and student body;
- The ability to build the reputation of UHSP on the basis of quality research;
- Interaction with professional organizations, the advancement of issues through political activities, and willingness to be a leader within professional and civic organizations;
- The ability to analyze complex situations, develop solutions, and use judgment consistent with sound educational, administrative, and business practices; and
- Strong commitment to shared governance and transparency throughout the University.
The president will be expected to be the face of UHSP and to extend the culture of active collaboration with external partners to strengthen the University’s visibility and the vitality of our programs. Connecting with opinion leaders as a respected peer will be crucial to the success of the new president, as will raising public awareness of the contributions of University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis within the community, state, nationally, and internationally; for example, leadership in policy for Missouri such as COVID-19.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For a full application package, please submit a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher & Associates. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood, Partner & President
Joe Stanley, Senior Executive Search Consultant
For additional information about University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis, please visit www.uhsp.edu.
University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/M/F/Veteran/Disabled
The material presented in this leadership profile should be relied on for informational purposes only. This material has been copied, compiled, or quoted in part from the University of Health Sciences & Pharmacy in St. Louis documents and personal interviews and is believed to be reliable. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, the original source documents and factual situations govern.