- PERALTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
- Oakland, CA
PERALTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
The Board of Trustees of the Peralta Community College District (the District) invites applications and nominations for the position of Interim Chancellor. The Interim Chancellor serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the District and reports directly to the Governing Board, comprising seven elected members and two student trustees. The Board seeks an experienced community college leader who embodies respect, enthusiasm, equity-mindedness, and a commitment to provide unifying and participatory leadership beginning October 2020.
Founded in 1964, the Peralta Community College District is located in the vibrant and beautiful San Francisco/Oakland/Silicon Valley area, known for its quality of life, technology and innovation. The four Peralta Colleges (Berkeley City College, College of Alameda, Laney College, Merritt College) serve six cities in the East San Bay Area: Albany, Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, and Piedmont. The District’s faculty and staff are recognized for their dedication and ingenuity in meeting the varied interests and needs of their diverse community. The Peralta Colleges provide a range of educational programs and life-long learning opportunities to approximately 25,000 students each semester and are among the leading California community colleges in transferring students into the University of California and California State University systems. Currently, the District employs about 860 full-time employees and 1,000 part-time faculty and staff.
For more about the Peralta Community College District, please visit https://web.peralta.edu/.
To apply for this position, please visit our career site at: https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/5161
The primary responsibilities of the Interim Chancellor of the Peralta Community College District are to ensure the access, support, and success of the students of the communities served by the four colleges, while leading the administration of the District and inspiring confidence and trust.
The top institutional priorities on which the preferred candidate will focus for the upcoming year were established by the Board and validated by the college community, as follows:
1. Improve District morale by demonstrating respect, enthusiasm, and commitment to the work and success of the Peralta Community College District and empowering employees to succeed in their jobs.
2. Develop and implement a plan to ensure restoration of full accreditation to each college in the District.
3. Ensure that student access, equity, and success are the primary foci of the District.
4. Implement fiscal reforms as recommended by the accrediting commission and State Chancellor’s Office to ensure fiscal stability for the District.
5. Manage the District’s response to COVID-19, including a coordinated approach among the colleges to address access to technology, student housing and food insecurity, and campus safety.
6. Ensure the successful planning, development and construction of educational facilities and bond financing programs.
The preferred candidate will demonstrate the following proven personal and professional qualities:
1. A strong set of core values based on ethical principles: integrity, honesty, candor, fairness, humility, and flexibility.
2. Strong skills in recruiting and appointing outstanding staff, delegating responsibility for accomplishing the work of the District and evaluating their performance.
3. A commitment to the collective bargaining and participatory governance processes.
4. A communication style including listening, effective written, interpersonal, and formal presentation skills.
5. A commitment to social justice, advocacy, civic development, and engagement of social reform.
PERALTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT 333 EAST 8TH STREET, OAKLAND, CA 94606 WEB.PERALTA.EDU
1. An earned master’s degree or other equivalent advanced degree from an accredited institution
2. Minimum of five years demonstrated experience as a successful senior administrator
3. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender, sexual orientation, disability and ethnic backgrounds of Peralta Colleges’ students, faculty, staff and community.
4. Ability to lead and work remotely
• Doctorate degree
• 3-5 years consecutive experience as a successful senior administrator
• Community college CEO
• Experience reporting to a board
• Senior leadership experience in a multi-college district
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Peralta College District proudly offers a competitive salary and comprehensive core of work-life benefits.
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District is seeking a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures or
In conformance with the Fair Employment and Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for
Reasonable Accommodations may be made to the Office of Human Resources by calling (510) 466-7283.
Selection Procedure/Conditions of Employment
Applicants who meet all minimum qualiﬁcations and submit all application documents on or before the ﬁling deadline will be included in the initial review processes conducted by the Search Committee. A reasonable number of applicants judged by the Committee as best matching the requirements of the position will be invited for a personal interview. A final interview by the Board will be offered to applicants who are advanced beyond initial interviews.
Employees must satisfy all pre-employment requirements to work for the District which include, but are not limited to, tuberculosis clearance (EC 87408.6), ﬁngerprinting processing, and veriﬁcation of their legal right to work in the United States. The Peralta Community College District reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify or to rescind this job posting at any time without prior notice.
Candidates may apply @ https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/5160
1. Follow the directions to establish an application account.
2. Attach a COVER LETTER of no more than 5 pages describing how you are prepared to meet the
6 institutional priorities, 5 desired qualities, and minimum/preferred qualifications, noted above.
3. Attach a current RESUME, including educational background, professional experience, achievements, and professional activities.
4. Attach a REFERENCE LIST with names and contact information for 5 professional references (including trustees, administrators, faculty, and staff).
Application Deadline: September 10, 2020 (midnight PST)
For any additional information, confidential inquiries, or nominations please contact:
Dr. Helen Benjamin, CEO, HSV Consulting, Inc. • firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com • 510-701-1553
Dr. Debbie DiThomas, HSV Consultant • firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com • 951-961-653
Dr. Cindy Miles, HSV Consultant • HYPERLINK mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com • 619-322-8824