Director, UNCW Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC)
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Director of the Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC) leads and manages the OIC to facilitate, enhance, and grow technology transfer activities at UNCW. The Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the OIC, as well as strategic planning for the unit. The Director will have signature authority for confidentiality agreements and material transfer agreements. T
The Director is part of the Research and Innovation Service Team (RIST) leadership, and serves on various university committees including the UNCW Patent Committee, and the UNCW Research and Innovation Counsel. The Director also works with the UNCW Research Foundation, an associated entity to support research and innovation activities.
Post-baccalaureate credentials of a master’s degree or higher is required, although a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the essential functions of the position
- Advanced degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics OR MBA or Law Degree.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with tech transfer.
- Knowledge of US Intellectual Property Laws.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Demonstrated ability to positively lead a diverse group of professionals; Supervisory skills and experience, and demonstrated ability to work constructively, collaboratively, and diplomatically with many diverse individuals and groups both within and outside the University are expected.
- Active membership in Association of University Technology Managers and/or Licensing Executives Society (USA/Canada).
- Experience working in higher education setting.
- Registered Technology Transfer Professional designation.
Preferred formal education, professional skills and work experience
- Certified Licensing Professional designation.
- Successful experience organizing and conducting training and education workshops, and presentations on IP and tech transfer.