Assistant/Associate Professor of Fine Arts (Critical Studio)
The Fine Arts Department of the Minneapolis College of Art and Design seeks candidates to lead our Fine Arts Studio major. The Fine Arts Studio Major prepares students for studio and community practices relevant for a changing visual world. An interdisciplinary curriculum, supported by technical and conceptual engagement, allows students to develop intellectual and creative strengths towards future careers as cultural leaders. Collaborative and concept-driven coursework exposes students to a diverse range of aesthetic experiences outside of media-driven limitations. Drawing from all areas of the college curriculum, each student crafts a program based on individual conceptual focus and materials preference. Candidates must be invested in artmaking as a form of critical inquiry. We support the diverse material, philosophical and critical investigations that inform contemporary art. In addition, familiarity with systems of investigation beyond the field of art, such as humanities or sciences, would be beneficial. While this program is not materials-specific, the successful candidate will have expertise in a related field of visual art that could include Drawing, Printmaking, Sculpture, Installation, performance, evolving technologies and socially based methods.
This position is full-time and begins August 2020. Full-time faculty teach three courses each semester or equivalent, and participate in committee work and other departmental and college activities required of ranked faculty. Full-time faculty are expected to maintain a studio or research practice. MCAD offers renewable, long-term contracts based on a clearly defined peer-review process. Rank will be commensurate of experience. This position is benefits eligible. This position reports to the chair of the Fine Arts Department.
- MFA and a minimum 2 years college/university teaching experience beyond TA.
- Demonstrated vibrant studio practice.
- Ability to develop diverse and relevant curricular content.
- Ability to teach at all levels, including foundation courses.
- Ability to inspire and motivate a diverse student population of artists and makers.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of underrepresented student populations and/or engagement with diverse communities.
Founded in 1886, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit teaching institution which educates individuals to be professional artists and designers, creative thinkers, cultural leaders, and engaged global citizens. Located in the Twin Cities, MCAD is an independent, accredited institution with 14 undergraduate degree programs, with BFAs in Fine Arts, Media Arts, Design, and BS in Entrepreneurial Studies, and an established MFA program and two online MA degrees. MCAD also offers five minors anchored in the Liberal Arts, Arts Entrepreneurship, and Fine Arts departments. Dedicated to the creative and professional success of its students, MCAD is also an important participant in the Twin Cities' thriving cultural community. The state of Minnesota has long enjoyed and valued a rich cultural life that is furthered by the generous support of numerous private foundations. Ranked as the 16th largest metropolitan area in the nation, the area hosts 18 Fortune 500 Companies and seven of the largest private companies in the country. In 2014, CBRE rated Minneapolis as the greenest city in the nation. Notable cultural institutions include the Walker Art Center, the Guthrie Theater, the Minneapolis Institute of Art and the Weisman Art Museum. In addition, the Twin Cities are well known for the quality of their live theater, musical venues, galleries, art film houses and festivals, as well as a full array of professional sports teams.
MCAD’s community of staff and faculty enjoy a dynamic, creative, and inclusive work environment. MCAD offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes: medical, dental, 403(b) retirement plan, commuter benefits, as well as generous time off plans. In addition, after six months of service, full-time employees and their eligible dependents can receive free tuition at MCAD, as well the potential to receive reduced tuition at more than 600 colleges nationwide. MCAD faculty are represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
The mission of MCAD is to transform the world through creativity and purpose. Support that mission through working at MCAD!
Deadline: Priority will be given to those who respond by January 6, 2020.
To ensure full consideration, complete application materials must be received by 1/6/20. Preliminary interviews will be conducted via GoToMeeting. A background check will be made prior to employment.
Applications should include:
- Letter of application stating how experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- URL of professional website and/or professional work samples (up to 20 images)
- Samples of relevant student work (up to 20 images)
- Complete information for three professional references: names, institutional affiliations, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers
- Transcript of degree, showing coursework appropriate to position (copies are acceptable); official transcript required prior to employment.
- Salary requirements
Electronic application procedure:
- Submit all materials in a single PDF file in the order as listed above (1-8).
- Limit PDF file to size 15MB or less and title the file as follows:
last name_first name_FAS_faculty.pdf
- Email complete application file to firstname.lastname@example.org with applicant’s last name in the subject line
- All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquiries to email@example.com and include job FAS Faculty Search in all correspondence.
- Only complete applications will be eligible for consideration.
More search results
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
University of California, Riverside
Mount Aloysius College
Dean, College of Law
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students
University of California Berkeley
Dean, College of Humanities and Fine Arts
University of Massachusetts Amherst