Assistant Professor, Sub-Saharan African History
The Department of History in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position in Sub-Saharan Africa at the rank of Assistant Professor for appointment beginning in the 2020-2021 academic year.
The Position: The department seeks a strong teacher-scholar with expertise in the area of Sub-Saharan Africa. Duties in this position include teaching Sub-Saharan African history, the World Civilization surveys (ancient world to 1500 and 1500 to the present) and upper-division seminar courses in areas of interest; maintaining an active research agenda; and service to various levels of the university and the related community. Applicants whose work incorporates the digital humanities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in History from an accredited university at the time of appointment. ABDs are welcome to apply, but such applicants must complete all the requirements for the Ph.D. by the time of appointment.
- Evidence of potential for excellence in university-level teaching
- Evidence of ability to work with and mentor a diverse student population
- Evidence of potential for scholarly engagement
- Evidence of potential for teaching survey courses in world history
- Time period and field of specialization are open, but preference will be given for candidates with research experience or graduate training focused on migration, environmental change, globalization, state-building, democracy, or other aspects of social change and transition in Africa.
- Ability to address the history of Africa and Africans in innovative regional, global or comparative contexts
- Research experience in one or more Sub-Saharan languages
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in digital humanities
- Hybrid and/or online teaching experience
- Ability and interest in curriculum and pedagogical development in world history
Application Procedure: A completed application will consist of:
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a brief statement of teaching philosophy (no more than 750 words);
- three recent (on letterhead, signed and dated within the past two years) letters of reference.
- a completed application form; and
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists).
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than November 4, 2019. The submission deadline has now been extended to November 12, 2019. Early submission is encouraged. An online submission process will be used at the following link: https://apply.interfolio.com/66953%20
For further information or clarification, please contact:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Dr. Rob Lewis, History Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3860 FAX: 909.869.4724 Email: email@example.com
More search results
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
University of California, Riverside
Mount Aloysius College
Dean, College of Law
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students
University of California Berkeley
Dean, College of Humanities and Fine Arts
University of Massachusetts Amherst