Dean, St. John’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Dean, St. John’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
St. John’s University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of St. John’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Founded in 1870, St. John’s University was established by the Vincentian community at the request of the first Bishop of Brooklyn to provide quality higher education to a growing immigrant population in the borough of Brooklyn. At its heart, St. John’s supports a diverse academic environment that empowers each student through rich tradition—a tradition that fosters openness, respect, and equal opportunity for all. Under the leadership of President Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw, St. John’s has seen impressive growth over the past five years. After several years of steady enrollment growth, St. John’s is now the second largest Catholic university in the United States. In addition, during that same five-year period, the first-year retention rate has increased by five percentage points, the six-year graduation rate has increased by five percentage points, the endowment has increased by more than $100 million, net assets have increased by 33 percent to 922 million, almost $200 million has been spent on capital improvements and deferred maintenance, and nearly 200 new faculty have been hired. The University’s endowment is approximately $750 million.
St. John’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the cornerstone and oldest division of the University. The College has three organizational units: the undergraduate division on the Queens campus, the undergraduate division on the Staten Island campus, and the Graduate Division (Queens and Rome). The College offers three undergraduate degrees (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Fine Arts), as well as numerous programs leading to master’s and doctoral degrees. The College has more than 30 majors and 40 minors for undergraduates and 20 degree programs for graduates. The College has 263 full-time faculty members across a wide variety of disciplines whom, as educators, are committed to student-centered teaching rooted in the Catholic, Vincentian, metropolitan, and global character of St. John’s University.
St. John’s next Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is preferred to be:
- A proven leader, teacher, and scholar with progressive academic leadership at the level of a dean, associate dean, department chair, or the equivalent who has achieved success in developing and executing academic strategies in a complex, comprehensive University.
- An entrepreneurial and innovative leader with the ability to shape a clear vision of the future of liberal arts education in a global University that is home to thousands of undergraduate students pursuing a wide variety of degree programs.
- A culturally literate leader who understands, supports, and embraces the University’s Catholic and Vincentian mission.
- A leader with a global vision and a deep commitment to and notable accomplishments in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among students, faculty, administrators, and staff in a complex organizational setting.
- An accomplished academic who understands the role of research and scholarship in a liberal arts college and can foster an environment that promotes faculty development and success.
- An inspiring, collaborative, transparent, and trusted leader who can engage stakeholders, build consensus, and achieve success by unifying efforts across disciplinary boundaries and among multiple campuses
- A courageous, data-informed decision-maker who can prioritize strategic initiatives in the best interests of the college and university with a focus on delivering excellence while ensuring affordability for students.
- A skilled communicator with high emotional intelligence who has interest in and the ability to engage effectively with alumni, students, donors, Board members, and the community to facilitate program development, enrollment, and philanthropy.
- A scholar of intellectual vitality with a Ph.D. or other terminal degree and a record of scholarly achievement commensurate with appointment to the faculty of St. John’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the rank of Professor.
To review the full position profile, please visit Dean of St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
How to Apply
Confidential applications and nominations are now being accepted. Initial screening of the applications and nominations will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how your experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume, and five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Sharon A. McDade, Practice Leader for Strategic Services and Senior Executive Leadership Consultant
Alex Matthews, Senior Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information on St. John’s University, please visit https://www.stjohns.edu
More search results
Dean of the School of Natural and Behavioral Scie…
Dean, Maine School of Law
University of Maine School of Law
Dean of the School of Health Sciences
Director, School of Business Administration
Penn State Harrisburg
Associate Dean of the School of Education