Vice President for Student Success and Engagement
- Texas A&M University San Antonio
- San Antonio, Texas
Vice President for Student Success and Engagement
Texas A&M University San Antonio (A&M-SA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Student Success and Engagement. The title of this position was recently changed in order to emphasize the University’s commitment to and the importance of student success.
In May 2009, the Texas Legislature signed Senate Bill 629, which established A&M-SA as a standalone institution. During the past 10 years, the University has evolved from an upper-division institution of higher education to a comprehensive four-year public university that reflects the culturally diverse, heritage-rich community it serves. During this period, the University has impacted lives in South San Antonio and its surrounding communities, providing access to quality education while becoming a catalyst for regional growth – with countless stories of the students, graduates, faculty and staff who are on a mission to discover, inspire, lead and create. As the University commemorates its 10th anniversary, there is excitement about the next phase of A&M-SA’s evolution.
Between May 2009 to fall 2018, the University’s enrollment grew more than 180 percent. The University currently serves over 6,700 students and has graduated more than 11,000 alumni. The student body is 62 percent female, 71 percent Hispanic, and approximately 70 percent of students are the first in their family to attend college. Through the University’s 29 undergraduate degrees and 14 graduate degrees, students can pursue a wide variety of in-demand fields, such as education, business, information technology and cyber security, criminology and biology. The University prepares and empowers students with knowledge and marketable skills that prepare them for rewarding careers, responsible global citizenship and lifelong learning.
The Vice President for Student Success and Engagement (VPSSE), formerly titled Vice President for Student Affairs, reports to the President and serves as the Chief Student Affairs Officer, with primary responsibility for leadership, management, strategic direction, policy development, and fiscal and administrative oversight for the Student Affairs division. The VPSSE manages the following areas: Disability Support Services, Housing, International Affairs, the Mays Center for Experiential Learning and Community Engagement, Military Affairs, Recreational Sports, Student Activities, Student Counseling and Wellness, and Transitions and Family Engagement. The VPSSE will ensure that Student Affairs plays an instrumental role in the University’s mission to become a national model for student and academic success. The most qualified candidates will be passionate about the mission of A&M-SA and its commitment for student success and possess:
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible administrative experience in positions responsible for multiple areas of either Student Affairs, Student Academic Success, or Student Engagement.
- Successful record of leadership that includes management of staff and fiscal resources.
- Proficiency in organizing and managing complex functions.
- Ability to satisfactorily solve problems commonly found within the higher-education environment.
- Knowledge of national best practices in student affairs, including ability to use research and assessment to guide decision-making.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant legal issues and crisis/emergency management.
- Ability to gain the trust and confidence of students and act as their advocate and mentor.
- Comprehensive understanding of the student development theory and how to improve academic and social engagement.
- Extensive knowledge of student retention and success strategies.
- Demonstrated commitment to equitable and inclusive practices and the ability to work productively with ethnically, culturally, and economically diverse populations.
- Excellent decision-making, organizing, and planning skills.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
- A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience working in a dynamic institution on a rapid path to enrollment growth.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with students, faculty, staff, and administrators throughout a multi-campus university system.
- Experience at a public university with 5,000+ students.
- Extensive understanding of the laws and regulations governing higher education.
To learn more about Texas A&M University San Antonio and read the full position profile please visit https://www.storbeckpimentel.com/pd/TAMUSA/VPSSE.pdf.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Emy Peña, Partner
Refer to code “TAMUSA-VPSSE” in the subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
Texas A&M University-San Antonio is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/ Disability Employer.