Visual Communications Design, Assistant Professor
The Department of Art in the College of Environmental Design at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona), invites applications for one tenure-track position in the area of Visual Communication Design at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin fall semester 2020.
This tenure-track position includes instruction in Visual Communication Design—specifically in motion and sequential graphics, interface and experiential design (UX/UI), and typography—for undergraduate courses within the Department of Art. This position requires teaching, advising, as well as professional and creative activities in Visual Communication Design or a related area. The faculty in this position would also be involved in department, college, and university service. Applicants who demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence and diversity in higher education are especially encouraged to apply.
- M.F.A. in Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design, or a related field completed by time of appointment.
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience in Graphic Design or Visual Communication Design.
- Teaching experience in Graphic Design or Visual Communication Design at the university level.
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, creative activities, teaching, advising, and service.
- Effective teaching in a variety of foundation Visual Communication Design courses in motion and sequential graphics, interface and experiential design (UX/UI), typography, and Visual Communication Design, including the concepts, principles, and practices involved in new media for Graphic Design.
- Expert use and instruction of applicable software and technologies.
- Effective mentoring and advising of students.
- Record of active participation in professional organizations.
A completed application will consist of:
- A cover letter that includes the candidate’s teaching and experience. The letter should also address an ability to meet the qualifications articulated in the position description, including a portfolio website link providing 20 samples of the candidate’s own professional work, and a portfolio website link providing 20 samples of work by the candidate’s student’s work;
- A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- A completed application form available at:
- An unofficial transcript showing the highest degree earned;
- A Student Success Statement about your teaching, or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working or engaging with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced). More information about expectations for the statement can be found here: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/student_success_statement.pdf
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide an official transcript;
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide three letters of reference dated within the last two years;
- Final candidates being interviewed are expected to make a presentation of creative work and a teaching demonstration to faculty and interact with students.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than December 2nd, 2019. Early response is encouraged.
Online applications only: please submit applications via Interfolio at https://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/open-positions/index.shtml. Applicants will provide contact information for recommenders during the application process, and the system will contact recommenders and provide a method for uploading letters. No physical application materials accepted.
General inquiries regarding the application should be directed to:
Faculty Search Committee Chair
Professor Raymond Kampf
Department of Art
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave. Pomona, CA 91768
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
More search results
Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations
University of California, Los Angeles
Asst Vice Chancellor - Student Retention & Success
UC San Diego
Network Analyst (8656)
California State University, Northridge
IT Classroom Support and Media Services Technicia…
California State University, Northridge
Professor of Teaching and Director of Language In…