Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Denver, Colorado
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) invites inquiries, nominations and applications from visionary and inspiring leaders interested in serving as the University’s next Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs (Provost/EVPAA). The successful candidate will have an opportunity to build upon the legacy of Dr. Vicki Golich who will be retiring at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year following 10 years of exemplary service to the University and the Denver community. MSU Denver seeks an individual who will capitalize upon the University’s current momentum and leverage its vision and values toward creating a more dramatic imprint in the City of Denver, the State of Colorado, and beyond.
The Provost/EVPAA will be a critical strategic advisor to President Janine Davidson and an indispensable partner and voice amongst MSU Denver’s senior leadership team in determining all academic matters, priorities, and objectives that promote MSU Denver’s vision and commitment to student success. They will also work closely with the faculty of the university to continue stewarding and growing academic excellence.
Established in 1965 as Colorado’s “College of Opportunity,” MSU Denver is a comprehensive, baccalaureate and master’s degree granting urban university that offers letters, arts and sciences, professional, and business courses and programs to a diverse student population. Over the last decade, as part of its journey to become a preeminent public urban university, Metropolitan State University of Denver received legislative authority to change its name from Metropolitan State College of Denver and become a master’s-degree-granting educational institution.
Since 2005, MSU Denver has increased the number of degrees it has granted annually from 2,280 to 3,445 and in the last 10 years its first-time freshman retention rate has improved from 62 percent to 65 percent (2005 – 2015). A current student body of approximately 20,000, is taught by 1,452 faculty members and supported by 709 staff members. Over the past 12 years, the diversity of the University’s student population has increased to 44% students of color, and with a 28% Latino/a undergraduate population, the institution has recently achieved Hispanic Serving Institution (HIS) status. With close to 48% transfer student population, The Provost/EVPAA will need to help develop President Davidson’s vision for MSU Denver to become a national model in serving transfer students.
By strategically creating public-private partnerships in areas such as hotel management, aerospace engineering, advanced manufacturing and modern music education, MSU Denver has offered students unique opportunities to be prepared for graduate programs and the workplace, while also serving the workforce needs of Colorado. The university remains committed to its robust, well-rounded curriculum in traditional academic fields, evidenced by the recent faculty-led effort to strengthen and update the general studies program. MSU Denver is a dedicated partner with the city and region for advancing civic discourse and maintains a commitment to supporting arts and humanities. See for instance the work of the Denver Project for Humanistic Inquiry (D-Phi) https://www.msudenver.edu/d-phi/ . For more information about MSU Denver generally, please visit https://msudenver.edu/.
Reporting to the President, the Provost/EVPAA serves as the University’s chief academic officer. This individual will oversee and align academic and budgetary policies and priorities, ensure faculty quality, help to expand relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, and maintain the educational excellence of the institution. In guiding an innovative community of scholars and students, this individual will provide leadership to support an interdisciplinary, student-centered culture across the campus. The Provost/EVPAA will be fully invested in the work of the University’s Student Affairs division, especially when promoting initiatives that focus on student retention, progression, and completion. The Provost/EVPAA will possess a clear academic vision and serve as an articulate and persuasive spokesperson and advocate for the Academic Affairs division. In addition, they will assist the President in effectively conveying the significane of MSU Denver as a partner to the Denver community and region.
The Provost/EVPAA is charged with the overall administration of all academic units, works closely with Deans and faculty to develop, implement, and promote educational and scholarship goals, and provides leadership to ensure excellence in the University’s academic mission. Furthermore, the Provost/EVPAA will support the further development of a rich and positive campus climate through the recruitment, retention, and recognition of excellent, diverse faculty, staff, and students. As MSU Denver’s chief academic officer, the Provost/EVPAA will lead, manage, operationalize, and coordinate cross-unit/cross-functional programs and initiatives in Academic Affairs to promote student success defined as graduating students in a timely fashion, with minimal or no debt, and well prepared to pursue their careers of choice, or further eduction at the graduate level. Another dimension of student success at MSU Denver pivots upon the traditional public university’s committement to cultivating well-informed, curious, civically engaged citizens. The Provost/EVPAA will also oversee all aspects of academic accreditation, allocation of teaching facilities, faculty development, and academic personnel.
For information regarding the Office of Academic Affairs, please visit https://www.msudenver.edu/academic-affairs/.
MSU Denver’s next Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs will be an accomplished academic administrator and will possess exceptional leadership qualities such as wisdom, integrity, decisiveness, optimism, dynamism, collegiality, inclusiveness and sound judgment. The successful candidate will be an individual capable of engaging community stakeholders in the academic mission of the University and must be passionate about MSU Denver’s mission, vision, and the success of its students. In addition, leading candidates will possess:
- An earned PhD in an academic discipline from an accredited institution;
- A record of at least 10 years as an accomplished administrator with progressively responsible academic administration positions in higher education;
- A scholarly record that demonstrates eligibility for a tenured, full professor faculty appointment at Metropolitan State University of Denver;
- A record of commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity (e.g., recruitment and retention of diverse faculty and staff; infusion of diversity into the curriculum; promotion of a work environment that is inclusive and collegial for all faculty, staff and students);
- A demonstrated record of commitment to supporting faculty research, grant proposals, professional development, and excellence in university teaching;
- A history of innovation in developing and supporting academic programs that support student success goals;
- Successful leadership and management experiences, including strategic planning, financial management, and management of staff;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate wrap-around student support services effectively with academic program delivery to achieve student success;
- Demonstrated ability to link academic planning with enrollment management strategies;
- Demonstrated ability to support the use of effective information technology for pedagogical, administrative, and student support needs;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with senior administrators, deans, department chairs, faculty, and staff to achieve common goals, e.g., student recruitment, retention, and persistence to graduation;
- Demonstrated abilities and skills to supervise, motivate, and evaluate senior staff in Academic Affairs;
- Demonstrated accomplishments in collaborating with other members of a leadership team in implementing successful policies and initiatives;
- Demonstrated ability to be both an effective team leader and a productive team member; and
- Effective decision-making abilities, including the distribution of fiscal and human resources and the deployment of faculty and staff time and talent.
- Demonstrated ability to create and support an active, student-centered learning environment;
- Demonstrated ability to determine an appropriate array of excellent academic programs responsive to the needs of the students, and supportive to the overall mission and vision of the University;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate the use of appropriate technologies in the curricular and in administrative systems;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with members of the higher education community, including coordinating and governing boards, legislators, and business and other community leaders;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement programs and work effectively with faculty and all other members of the college community;
- Demonstrated ability to develop partnerships and relationships with alumni, friends, parents, industries, and the community at large;
- Demonstrated ability to leverage state resources with grant funded projects, revenues from public-private partnerships (P3s), private philanthropic support, and other innovative streams of revenue in support of the University mission;
- A strong sense of vision for and a commitment to strategic planning at an institution like Metropolitan State University of Denver in achieving the mission; and
- Knowledge of programs that focus on the improvement of retention and graduation rates of all MSU Denver students.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit: a current resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Refer to code “MSUDenver-PEVPAA” in the subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
More search results
Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students
University of California Berkeley
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
University of California Davis
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Health & We…
UC Santa Cruz
PROVOST AND VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
California State University, Los Angeles
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE
Loyola Marymount University