Associate Dean for Administration
- University of Virginia
- Charlottesville, VA
- Not specified
Associate Dean for Administration
Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy
The Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy seeks a strategic and operational leader for the position of Associate Dean for Administration. Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean will be a senior leader and key partner in charting the strategic direction of Batten in a competitive higher education environment while also managing day to day operations in a way that reinforces a strong culture of collaboration and a nurturing community.
With about 40 full-time governing faculty (plus another ~40 affiliated and adjunct faculty), and about 300 degree-seeking students (plus additional university students enrolled in Batten classes), the Batten School is unique among policy schools for its embrace of both leadership and public policy as interdisciplinary fields for research, teaching, and public engagement. It is an intellectually diverse community, strengthened by complementary contributions of world class researchers and practitioners alike, all devoted to excellence in teaching Batten’s mix of undergraduate and graduate students.
The Batten community is committed to modeling effective leadership and enlightened policy through its governance and operations. Batten leads the University in using technology and rigorously collecting data to inform decision making and resource allocation. Batten remains nimble and innovative in its programs, curriculum, and support for student and faculty service and engagement.
The Associate Dean will join the Batten School and the University of Virginia at a time of celebration, opportunity, and shared vision. The University welcomed its ninth president, James E. Ryan, in August of 2018, a new provost, M. Elizabeth (Liz) Magill, in August 2019, and a new dean of the Batten School, Ian H. Solomon, in September 2019. In August 2019, the University’s Board of Visitors Approved a new Strategic Plan for the University, and, in October 2019, the University announced a $5B Honor the Future Campaign.
The Associate Dean will be instrumental in building upon the existing solid foundation and expanding the scale and real-world impact of the Batten School’s activities. The Associate Dean serves as the chief administrative officer and chief financial officer for the Batten School and primary liaison, after the dean, between the University and the School on non-academic matters of finance and administration. The Associate Dean will work in close collaboration with the Associate
Dean for Academic Affairs and also faculty, staff and students. As a senior member of Batten’s leadership team, the Associate Dean will oversee a team of functional directors and managers within the school (for Finance, IT, Facilities, and Data Analytics) and service agreements with central university functions (for HR, and Development).
The Associate Dean is expected to be directly involved in nearly all significant administrative decision-making for Batten including, but not limited to:
- Strategic Planning and development of one-year and five-year plans.
- Financial planning and budget management, including participation in the University internal financial model, and support for advancement/development activities, gift design and stewardship.
- Developing and implementing solutions to address short and long-term space and facility needs which may include all aspects of capital planning (e.g., new building design, financing and construction).
- Use of data and technology to enhance operations and the academic mission.
- Human Resources, including talent management, training and development, and delivery of basic HR services.
- Design and implementation of business and administrative support for educational innovations, including executive education, lifelong learning, online offerings, partnerships within and beyond UVA, international engagement, and management of other opportunities (and risks) not yet imagined.
As a partner to the dean, a team player, and a creative, resourceful problem solver, the Associate Dean will play a critical role in advancing the mission of the Batten School and fostering and contributing to its unique culture.
The ideal candidate will preferably have:
- Proven experience providing strategic direction and leading organizational change;
- Significant management experience with demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire others, recruit top candidates, supervise for performance, provide guidance and feedback, manage conflicts, and deliver performance above expectations;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects, meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities and needs;
- Demonstrated experience leading teams or groups of individuals to achieve goals and targets;
- Operational experience in a decentralized complex environment;
- Significant experience with budget preparation and presentation, financial analysis, and strategic planning; working knowledge of financial methods; accounting principles and statistical approaches for analysis and forecasting;
- Experience in higher education administration strongly preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree preferred.
- Collaborative workstyle that takes joy in the success and professional development of others;
- Ability to think strategically, combined with an understanding of day-to-day operations and capacity to execute;
- Ability to influence at all levels with a collaborative spirit;
- High personal and professional integrity and a blend of self-confidence and humility;
Passion and loyalty for the mission of the Batten School and University of Virginia.
To Apply or Nominate
Applications should include a letter of interest and resume. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted. To be officially considered for this position, all applicants must apply through UVA Workday.
For confidential inquiries or to nominate someone for this opportunity, please contact Susan Gaines, Senior Search Consultant with the University of Virginia’s Executive Search Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit Associate Dean for Administration | Executive Search Group, UVA https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/associate-dean-administration
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
More search results
Dean of the Faculty for Arts & Sciences
William & Mary
Radiation Safety Officer
Virginia Commonwealth University
Assistant Professor AY
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)
Dean of the School of Business
Faculty Positions for the 2020–2021 Academic Year…
Virginia Commonwealth University