THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IN HUNTSVILLE
DEAN OF THE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE
The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) seeks someone with a strong sense of vision and experience in strategic planning to be the Dean of the College of Science. Reporting to the Provost, the Dean has the responsibility for providing academic and advancement leadership for the college. With an understanding of the role of high quality research in driving the educational mission of the college, the Dean will cultivate and foster an appreciation for the relationship between research and teaching at all levels. The Dean will collaborate with the college’s dedicated and accomplished faculty to create and improve nationally recognized academic programs at the undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. levels. The UAH College of Science is an integral partner in the region’s scientific and technology communities. As such, the Dean will provide effective leadership in outreach to community, industrial, governmental, educational, and research stakeholders on behalf of the college and university.
Desired Qualifications are:
- a dedication to visionary leadership and strategic planning
- distinguished academic administrative experience, preferably with line responsibility at a research university
- a strong record of education or teaching engagement and research productivity necessary for appointment as a tenured professor
- a commitment to recruitment, development, and support of faculty, staff and students from diverse backgrounds
- excellent interpersonal skills and a track record of working effectively with faculty, students, staff and external constituents
- a commitment to student success and promoting measures to increase student retention, persistence, and graduation rate
- a commitment to providing course schedule flexibility and different modalities of course delivery including developing and delivering online courses at all levels and developing and delivering online academic programs.
- a record of serving as PI and participating in extramural research grants and contracts and of mentoring and enabling others to participate in seeking and receiving extramural research funding.
- an interest and record of participating in advancement and fundraising activities
- the ability to articulate the College's mission, vision, and strategy effectively and represent the college to external constituencies
- the ability to manage and prioritize financial, human, and facility resources
The College: The College of Science at UAH comprises seven departments and 97 full-time faculty. It offers undergraduate degrees in Biology, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth System Science, Mathematics, and Physics; masters degrees in Atmospheric Science, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Earth System Science, Materials Science, Mathematics, Optics and Photonics Technology, Physics, and Space Science; and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Mathematics, Atmospheric Science, Biotechnology Science & Engineering, Computer Science, Materials Science, Optical Science & Engineering, Physics, and Space Science. The College of Science plays a key role in Charger Foundations, the University's general education curriculum, and participates in interdisciplinary minors or programs. The College has ABET-accreditation in Computer Science and ACS accreditation for approved Chemistry courses.
The University: UAH offers 88 degree-granting programs that meet the highest standards of excellence, including 41 bachelor’s, 31 master’s, and 16 doctoral degree programs through its seven Academic Colleges: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering; Nursing; Professional and Continuing Studies; and Science as well as the Graduate School. The UAH Honors College blends traditional emphasis on arts and sciences and critical thinking with a practical, career-oriented education. Over the past decade, the University has implemented strategic and campus master plans that have resulted in substantial growth. The University has undertaken more than $160 million in new construction. UAH enrollment is approximately 9,990, including approximately 2,000 graduate students. The undergraduate class is made up of 42% women and 58% men. The UAH 2019 freshman class scored an average of 28 on the ACT examination. UAH is number one in Alabama both for early career pay after graduation and for the economic outcomes of its graduates. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching rates UAH as a “high” research activity institution. Under the leadership of its new President, the University is well-positioned to continue growing its enrollment and reputation.
UAH is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Some departments and programs also hold accreditation or certification from professional associations, including the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology and the American Chemical Society.
The Greater Huntsville Community: Huntsville has an international reputation as a high tech center with ties to NASA, the Army’s Redstone Arsenal, and major government and private research organizations. UAH is the anchor tenant of Cummings Research Park, the second largest university-related research park in the United States, and home to approximately 300 companies. For more information on the Greater Huntsville Community, visit http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com.
Applications, nominations, and confidential inquiries are welcome. Applicants should submit a cover letter describing professional experience as it relates to the requirements of the position; a current resume/curriculum vita; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five references. Please send nominations or applications to email@example.com. For additional information or questions, please contact Jason Greene, Dean of the College of Business and Chair of the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or Peggy Bower, Search Committee Support at email@example.com. For full consideration, applications should be submitted by December 1, 2019, although applications will be received until the position is filled.
Search Committee for Dean, College of Science
ATTN: Peggy Bower, Office of the Provost
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL 35899
The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/ females/ veterans/ disabled.
Please refer to log number: 20/21-548